Free Bibles, tracts & Literature.
AffordaPrint Printing Services
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholic Bible Query, for evangelism purposes.
Hi, my mum is spending time with a Catholic lady, who has never listened to us before and never shown any interest in the scriptures. 
However, she has gotten ill recently and been concerned enough to ask my mum if she would just read to her from Jesus' ministry from the bible. 

Of course my mum jumped at the chance and is taking her through Matthew. Already the lady refuses to acknowledge that Joseph"knowing" Mary is scriptural but my mum has just faithfully kept reading to her hoping that the word will convict the lady. 

This lady owns a Doughy bible (I think it is called). She claims it predates the King James - it does seem to - and so says  is more reliable.
She believes the KJ was commissioned to be written in a way that would accommodate the divorces of the king and she has been taught it is corrupt and has error in it. Of course there is no such license found in the KJ at all but that is not something mum will argue on as she just wants to keep reading the word and let it do its work, while she has been given the opportunity . 

Mum wondered if she would be better reading to the lady from this Doughy Bible so that the lady has nothing to argue about. I have no idea if it is ok to use as I cannot get hold of a copy. I can find later versions but I would like to see the original to compare the verses she has issues with in the King James, so my mum knows what she is up against before she goes to read each day. I cannot find an online copy of that version, the one that predates the KJ.

Does anyone know where I can get such a book, online or otherwise?

Thanks
Affordaprint1Affordaprint2
Dear Jen,

I think the Doughy Bible you are referring to is Douay-Rheims bible, the Bible is in public domain and is available at 
http://www.drbo.org/

Hope this helps.

In Christ,
Abhishek
Yes, I spelt it wrong, sorry.

Thank you, I have seen that one, however I was looking for the one that came to print before the KJ, the D-R is usually the 1899 one that is in is use these days I think. 

I will have to settle for the later edition if the earlier is no longer available. Thanks again. 

I am now trying to locate a list of verses that are in the D-R that wont be in the KJ, or that differ from the KJ, (ignoring the apocrypha books that is).

Bless you
To be quite honest Jen I wouldn't be too concerned about the Douey Rheims if that's what she wants to read from. As you said, the apocryphal books are also generally included in Roman Catholic Bibles, however the Bible text itself isn't generally corrupted as far as I'm aware. It was Jerome who originally translated from the original Greek into Latin in the fourth century, as that was the most popular language of his day. And the Douey Rheims was first published only a few years prior to the KJV, which was translated from the textus receptus, which was put together by Erasmus in the early 1500's. If you look into the facts though, on one hand you have the RCC translating their version from the Latin Vulgate that had already been in publication for 1100 years. And on the other you have the Textus Receptus which was hastily put together by Erasmus to beat another effort to pubish a similar work by Spanish competition. The result of which led to there being mistakes in the text that were recognised even before publishing, and many revisions had to be made over following years. This is why I don't buy into the KJV only position, which was predominantly translated from the Textus Receptus as opposed to the Greek manuscripts themselves.

The bottom line I believe is that if your Mum reads the Gospel accounts, and where any confusion arises she applies the simple process of allowing Scripture to interpret Scripture, then she won't go far wrong regardless of the translation. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that you could clearly highlight the errors of the Roman Catholic Church and some of it's teachings, even if you were using a Bible you borrowed from your local neighbourhood Jehova's Witness!! Big Grin
Exclamation 
Thank you for the input John. I have a new Jerusalem bible which I have handy in case I chat with Catholics but this is one I have no experience with. I have had success with a Polish lady in the same manner, I gave her the references for certain things and asked her to read them in her Polish Catholic bible. It was enough to convince her, I shall  pass your advice on. Bless you
(05-21-2017, 08:33 PM)Jen Wrote: Thank you for the input John. I have a new Jerusalem bible which I have handy in case I chat with Catholics but this is one I have no experience with. I have had success with a Polish lady in the same manner, I gave her the references for certain things and asked her to read them in her Polish Catholic bible. It was enough to convince her, I shall  pass your advice on. Bless you

I just read back my reply and I hope it doesn't come across like I don't care if a Bible translation is accurate or not. I suppose what I was trying to say was that sometimes it's easy to get side tracked with a smaller issue, when in truth someone needs the Word of God like water from a fire hose. I'm sure if someone has been embedded in the RCC for many years, they will be quite literally riddled with the effects of false doctrine. And even if you were to be successful in unpicking one small piece of that, another would surely pop up right afterwards.

I think your Mum is very wise in removing the obstacle altogether by just reading straight from this ladies Douey Rheims Bible. At least that way she can be unhindered in proclaiming the Gospel, and helping this lady focus clearly on Jesus Christ. I'm sure that even in a bad translation, when you can read it in such a way, God can really begin to work mightily through His Word. Especially when that reading is accompanied with the fervent prayer I'm sure your mother will be lifting up for this woman.
(05-22-2017, 11:14 PM)John Wrote: I just read back my reply and I hope it doesn't come across like I don't care if a Bible translation is accurate or not. I suppose what I was trying to say was that sometimes it's easy to get side tracked with a smaller issue, when in truth someone needs the Word of God like water from a fire hose. I'm sure if someone has been embedded in the RCC for many years, they will be quite literally riddled with the effects of false doctrine. And even if you were to be successful in unpicking one small piece of that, another would surely pop up right afterwards.

I think your Mum is very wise in removing the obstacle altogether by just reading straight from this ladies Douey Rheims Bible. At least that way she can be unhindered in proclaiming the Gospel, and helping this lady focus clearly on Jesus Christ. I'm sure that even in a bad translation, when you can read it in such a way, God can really begin to work mightily through His Word. Especially when that reading is accompanied with the fervent prayer I'm sure your mother will be lifting up for this woman.

No, I totally understood what you meant. Thank you for clarifying all the same Smile